Treatment for knee arthritis – one of the most common musculoskeletal conditions that Americans face – focuses on reducing symptoms and preserving mobility and joint function. Knee arthritis is a degenerative condition that cannot be reversed, only managed.
Common Knee Arthritis Treatment Options
Many patients with knee arthritis are able to benefit from a combination of self-care measures and healthy lifestyle choices, such as:
- Losing excess weight to relieve strain on joints
- Engaging in gentle exercise and stretching routines
- Eating a balanced, nutrient-rich diet
Conservative treatment methods also help many patients manage their symptoms. Knee arthritis treatment plans often include corticosteroid or hyaluronic acid injections, physical therapy, and medications to help control joint inflammation. In more advanced cases that don’t respond to conservative care, surgery to remove torn cartilage or replace damaged components of the knee joint may be recommended.
Knee Arthritis Treatment at Orthopaedic Specialists
Knee arthritis is not reversible. However, there are several steps you can take to minimize symptoms and effectively manage your pain. At Orthopaedic Specialists, we provide a variety of evidence-based treatments to help patients overcome arthritis symptoms, including:
- Viscosupplementation to help restore cushioning synovial joint fluid
- Corticosteroid injection to reduce pain and inflammation
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injection to promote new tissue growth
- Physical therapy to help maintain range of motion
- Surgery, in advanced cases, to remove loose pieces of cartilage or replace damaged components of the knee joint